Monday, November 10, 2014

#1 - Sweater Ball Ornaments

12 Days of Homemade Ornaments.

Day 1 - Sweater Balls... 

My whole family cracks up at the name... at first they thought I called them sweaty balls... 
now, why would they think that?

For this project you will need: a sweater, scissors, sharpie, Styrofoam balls, hot glue, twine, and some kind of poking device... I used the end of a paintbrush.

First, trace around something round and make circles. 
I used a coffee cup saucer and a cool whip lid.

Cut out your circles. Poke a hole in the styrofoam ball, 
add hot glue, and push down a loop of twine 
to make your hanger.

Now, place the ball in the center of your circle and pull 
up the sides. You can use a dab of hot glue to hold the sweater in place if you like.
 If you have someone to help you, have them hold the ball as you pull the fabric tight and tie a piece of twine around it. OR you can hold it with your knees and hold your breath while you try to tie it by yourself.

Cut away excess sweater till you get it like you want it . 
Look at that texture! Pretty Pretty!

I love white... but you could easily make colorful ones too.
Sweater Balls!
***
I hope you were inspired! Thank you so much for stopping by 
Thrift My House.

20 comments:

  1. Love the idea and great tutorial. I have just the red sweater to use for this. It doesn't flatter me at all, but it will make great sweater balls! Thanks for sharing. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very nice.. its look like very sweet.. i'm folling you now
    Gr. Roos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Sherry,
    This is my favorite of all the ornaments. Love the white sweater reuse. Have a great start to the new week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay-gotta admit the name kind of cracks me up, too! lol Those are GREAT...and even the kids could make them with some help with the tying. I think these would be a perfect project for kids as little gifts to give to parents, etc. Thanks for the idea....you is sooo smart...(yes, I know-bad English)...lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Sherry, these are fabulous! I have some sweater sitting around in my craft room waiting to be used and I think this project would be perfect :) Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How darling! Easy, inexpensive and so pretty ~ can't beat that.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherry, oh these are just to cute. Great use of old sweaters and project to do with the kids. These also make a great tree filler. Thanks for the directions too.
    Have a nice week!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect way to use old sweaters!!! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so cute! I love projects using sweater materials. The title of your post reminds me of a skit on SNL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are perfect! And, naturally, my first thought was, "Sweaters have balls?" But I thought there was no way I could actually type that until I read your opening line. Woman after my own heart, I must say. Sweaty balls. Hilarious!!!!! They are so, so cute, too!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! I will have to make some...I have been saving sweaters for just such a project. I am using some for pillow covers, but I have one that will make beautiful ornaments! Thanks for the sweet idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so pretty. I love how easy they are. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how I miss this post. The balls are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the title and my mind quickly went to sweaty balls of course, but damn, you beat me to the punch line.....haha I do love them though...the sweater balls...not sweaty balls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great no-sew project! You are the queen of homemade ornaments girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bahaha sweaty balls, you know my kids would say the same! Luckily they're so pretty it doesn't matter what they're called.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! I never think of putting an old sweater to use like this. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so perfectly perfect . . .what more can I say.
    Oh, I know . . . "elegant" . . . that it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. If you are a new follower, please let me know so I can follow you back. I want to keep in touch.