Thursday, May 14, 2015

No sew dining room turned bedroom curtains on a budget.

How's that for a title?

Remember my dining room curtains? I had a new vision for the dining room but I couldn't get rid of these curtains. I really like them. So I decided to move them to my bed and bath. Only problem is... I needed 6 panels and I only had 4.

These panels are nice and wide so I took a deep breath and cut two of them down the middle. I drew a pencil line with a ruler and the pattern on the front helped me to cut straight.

Next I took apart a few inches of the top rod pocket hem so I'd be able to fold over the whole side of the curtain.

I used this for all of you no-sewers out there.

I ironed the strip down the side of the curtain.

After it cooled for a minute, I pulled the top layer of the strip off. It left a sticky layer that will bond when you fold the fabric over and iron it for the hem.

Like this.

Then I cut and added a short piece of the heat bond for the top rod pocket hem.

Now I had the 6 panels that I needed without spending any more money. 

When you're a blogger, you assume everyone knows all the little tricks of decorating. Just in case one of my readers doesn't know about hanging curtains wider than than the actual window, this is for you. This little tip makes a huge difference.

I shortened these to fit over the whirlpool tub.

I don't close these curtains because I have blinds but I love the way they frame the windows and add interest to the room.
I have lots of changes going on in my bedroom and bathroom. I've already painted the walls gray, painted all the trim white but I have several more things to do. I can't wait to share them with you.
(Because that will mean I'm done :)

I hope you were inspired!

27 comments:

  1. Świetne zasłony w ornamenty, czarny kolor bardzo pasuje do Twojej sypialni:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like you purchased them at a very high-end retail shop :) I love them, Sherry. And no sew....perfect! :)

    Enjoy your day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your courage, effort and work paid off beautifully. Stunning re-use.
    xx,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fabulous Sherry! Yes, I use that trick too. It really makes a big difference. Looking forward to seeing your other changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on making the curtains stretch! Love how they look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pattern in these curtains, Sherry. So glad you were able to find another use for them...they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sherry, You did a great job . . . and they look wonderful in the bedroom. Now we can look forward to seeing your new vision for the dining room. You are certainly a busy lady:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those curtains! I am going to be watching you, because I plan to re-do our master bedroom this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on the curtains! They are just gorgeous. I would have reused them elsewhere too. Actually I have been shifting curtains around recently too. My dining room curtains were too dark to suit me so off the my bedroom they went. I replaced them with sheers, but then found the lace at Ikea and replaced them again! I'll makeup my mind eventually....maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the gray and white and with those beautiful curtains it simply is gorgeous. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these new curtain make the room really sing! Even the black iron accents go with the curtains. This is using the old nogg'n!
    -Ginene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherry, wonderful redesign for your bedroom and I love these curtains. I have always extended rods and placement with window treatments for a larger look. It really does work and yours behind the bed is fabulous. Now, what did you replace in the dining room. Hope you will share that too.
    Have fun decorating. You always inspire.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used HeatBond to hem the curtains in my LR, love that stuff! It's so nice, all the tricks and helpful hints we learn reading blogs. Your curtains look great in your bed/bath rooms! Can't wait to see the finished look! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go girl. Those curtains are awesome...and straight, and I am loving that shade of grey!!! Not the fifty shades...just that one! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. So clever and so thrifty--I love it! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sherry you go girl. This is awesome and no sewing love it. I love the color you did on the walls I cannot wait to see more.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brava gir, looks fabulous!! That Heatbond is handy stuff. Looking forward to tye rest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have used something similar to iron on fabric but it didn't have to be peeled back off. I love your fabric! You did a great job. I don't have a sewing machine (or know how to use one) so I love seeing tutorials for non-sewers! Looking forward to seeing your bathroom and bedroom remodel too. Love the colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's how I "SEW." lol. Such beautiful fabric.. they look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks amazing! Many times I've cheated with that iron on tape. Nobody would ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, that is one pretty bathroom now!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! They are perfect in your bedroom and bathroom. Love iron tape! Best invention ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking good!
    Hem tape is one of THE greatest
    inventions ever!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I felt your pain as you were cutting into those drapes Shery! I did something simlar and was terrified to do that because there was no turning back. My project came out pretty good, but I think your project kicks my projects butt. i don't think you could have chosen a better fabric, and the end result is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow you really make itself? I wanted to try and make the bedroom curtains for wedding anniversary gifts my brother, it would make her happy, thank you for this article helped me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. If you are a new follower, please let me know so I can follow you back. I want to keep in touch.