Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Signs made out of floor samples.

How I made 8 different signs 
out of floor samples.


 It all started with a clearance... these wood floor samples were $.08 a piece at our Lowes home improvement store.

Sign #1, Bakery
I stenciled each block with a letter and then I clicked and stapled them together on the back. 
A nice chunky sign. 

I picked these up for $.03 a piece. I did basically the same thing to them except I painted them white and because they are so thin, I used duck tape on the back to hold them together.

Sign #2, Welcome Home
This view is from the foyer coming in from the garage.

This is stick on vinyl. It was around $2.00.

Sign #3, Self Service Only
I stuck the vinyl to a piece of foam board, painted it white, added letters and sanded it. 
And, yes, I mean every single word...

This is another piece of vinyl. I used the same technique here.

Sign #4, Gather
 I made a Gather sign for the dining room.

Sign #5, Joy
One piece was enough to make two signs. I cut it to the size I needed with scissors. 
I really like how it distresses.


This is ceramic tile that looks like wood. It's very heavy.

Sign #6, Chalkboard
I decided to make a chalkboard sign out of it. 
I think it'll make a good prop for any vignette.

I found these laminate floor boards at a Habitat thrift store. They were $.65 a piece. I wish I'd bought more than two! I went back yesterday and they were all gone.

Sign #7, Family Sign
I've been wanting to put something above the TV so I made a family sign. I used little screws and wire on the back to hang it.

Sign #8, Grocery Sign
This one is my favorite! I used six inch letters on this laminate board for my grocery sign. Notice I put my cabinet doors back on. I needed a change... again.
Okay, so I've gone a little overboard with the signs... but I just can't help myself.  

I hope I've inspired you today. 

Thank you so much for stopping by 
Thrift My House!

27 comments:

  1. You have lost your mind...but in the best way! Great use of inexpensive materials outside of the box, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    I love this. This is so cool. What a great way to make signs. You go girl with your cleverness!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them too! I want to make a sign that says Gather. Just something about that sentiment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea, Sherry. Love all of your signs!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherry, I just loved what you created using the floor samples and other mediums. You are so good and so creative coming up with all these way to make signs. I love them too and I don't think you can have too many. Your home is beautiful with such a cozy farmhouse feel. Love your kitchen.
    Thanks again for the inspiration.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly talented. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry- WHAT FUN! You sure got a lot of milage out of those pieces of wood and that lettering. I love everything you did here. All your signs are wonderful. I think I need a sign now- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was a sign from above! You definitely got one heck of a deal and they all look amazing Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "sign" me up, love the idea of using floor samples that's very thrifty and self stick ones are totally fab just paint and hang. This was just the "sign" I needed to go out looking for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly have! Very clever use of everyday items. Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, Sherry! All your sings turned out just wonderful. We have lots of empty wall space. I need to make some signs too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sherry, look at you go! I love your signs and I wish I didn't stink at stenciling. On the other hand, I seem to have enough leftover floorboards that I could get lots of practice. LOL! I think I like the self service one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sherry...You are a genius! I love this idea,and I have extra bits from past floor projects just collecting dust under the spare room bed. What a great way to use them. Love all your signs, but I definitely need to make a big JOY sign,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your signs are so cute. I need to make me one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great inspiration! Love each one! I am a Dougherty... probably related way back when... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great Sherry! I have a box full of flooring samples from when we were picking stuff out and I fully plan to do something with those someday as well!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I never would've thought to use those materials to make signs from. How cute! They look so professionally done. I love signs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH, I have a weakness for signs and I LOVE all of yours! You're so crafty! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great ideas and such money savers! Signs like those can be very pricey, you have been inspirational!! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are amazing, Sherry! You're such a smart cookie! I think I have to try some of these for gifts for the family for Christmas! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clever, clever, clever! Love how your signs turned out--more sections for me to browse at Lowe's! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great deal on the floor samples. You really got your moneys worth with all the beautiful signs you created.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all your signs. Great gifts too for family or friends.

    Looks fab in the kitchen where you have them. Dinning room. I must save you to my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all your signs. Making them out of the flooring samples is genius. I can't wait to see your new mantel transformation. Thanks for stopping by to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE the self service sign! It's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    Siding Contractors Garfield Heights & Siding Contractors Westlake

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. If you are a new follower, please let me know so I can follow you back. I want to keep in touch.